Before starting the writing process, it is crucial to choose the topic. You can look at other papers in the chosen field in order to understand the idea and look through the writing style. You can also choose the topic you are passionate about, but it is important to make sure it is not only interesting, but also practical.
Try not to wait until the last minute. Remember about time management, which will help you greatly. Start as soon as possible in order to have an opportunity to ask your advisor all the questions. The advisor should understand, whether you are on the right track or not.
As it has already been mentioned, the role of your academic supervisor should not be underestimated especially when you experience troubles with writing your dissertation proposal. He performs many functions among which are:
- To advise on the choice of feasible topic and the possible obstacles which may emerge in the course of paper completion. For instance, having chosen topic that is too narrow, a student may face difficulties trying to access or retrieve the information. The lack of data or surveys on the matter in question may also lead to erroneous findings.
- To assist the student in choosing the relevant and useful sources, and finding an appropriate theoretical framework within which the topic for the paper can be placed.
- To supervise the process of paper completion so that there is no delay when it comes to the submission.
- To recommend the most efficient methodology for analyzing the data.
- To assess the draft in order to give a feedback and point out what should be more carefully reviewed or emphasized.
At this very time, do not forget that while your academic supervisor can provide you with significant help with dissertation proposal, he is not in charge for the quality of your assignment. You are the person who is completely responsible for its quality, content and the more so grammar mistakes or wrongly picked expressions.